Each January, we head to Lake Moogerah for the Australia Day long weekend, where we kick back with cards in hand and play 500 whilst watching the serenity and listening to Triple J beats. My favourite part of the whole thing is waking up surrounded by all my friends like it’s a big slumber party, making coffee and/or just getting straight to the point and having a beer. Yes, please.
I was reminded to get excited about the third annual trip to Moogers this weekend, because we played 500 for about six hours on Sunday afternoon whilst sipping on Maths dude’s latest brew (which is one of the most delicious IPAs I have ever tried, home-brewed or not!!!). It kind of felt like a practice run for January. And I’m so ready.
I like to think of these pumpkin hand pies as a final goodbye to Winter. Soon it’s going to be too damn hot to make pastry, even with chill time in the fridge. On the flip side, conditions will be perfect for making bread (got to remember the positives). So I can’t wait to get my knead on and practise making scrolls and buns and the like. Having a food blog, I have found, forces me learn so much about cooking techniques, largely through trial and error. For example, I learnt the hard way that one should never attempt to make puff pastry for the first time in Brisbane in the middle of summer. Lololol.
Coming back to the pies: they’re filled with a spiced pumpkin pie-like filling, and wrapped with my absolute favourite go-to half-wholemeal shortcrust pastry. I don’t know why, but I find replacing half of the plain flour with wholemeal in a shortcrust gives it the most amazing crumbly texture. Seriously, try it! Not necessarily to make these, but just whenever you next go to make pastry.
I went to serve these with ice cream, but then I was like… hang on. They’re *hand* pies. For picking up with your hands and shoving into your mouth, no plates required. That’s how we ate every single one of them, and I recommend you do the same!
I feel so lucky to be able to share this recipe as a part of the #virtualpumpkinparty that Sara organised. Get a load of this list of bloggers in all of their pumpkin glory!
Cake Over Steak • Pumpkin Ginger Cookies with a Vanilla Glaze
B. Britnell • Pumpkin & Goat Cheese Macaroni
A Couple Cooks • Pumpkin Spice Almond Butter
I Am a Food Blog • Roasted Pumpkin and Pork Stuffed Shells
Well and Full • Harissa-Spiced Pumpkin Gnocchi
Loves Food, Loves to Eat • Pumpkin Pork Burrito Bowls
Girl Versus Dough • Pumpkin Challah
Snixy Kitchen • Black Sesame Pumpkin Mochi Cake
Hungry Girl por Vida • Pumpkin Chocolate Crumb Cake
Donuts, Dresses and Dirt • Pumpkin Spice Latte Truffles
Two Red Bowls • Pumpkin & Caramelized Onion Galette
The Frosted Vegan • Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Gingersnaps
Warm Vanilla Sugar • Dulce de Leche Pumpkin Ice Cream + Affogato
An Edible Mosaic • Pumpkin Spice Latte Snack Cake with Brown Butter Buttercream
Kitchen Konfidence • Yeasted Pumpkin Waffles with Candied Ginger
Chocolate + Marrow • Pumpkin Scones with Cinnamon Butter Swirl
The Pig & Quill • Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes with Pumpkin Spice Caramel + Coconut Cream
Salt & Wind • Apple Cinnamon Pumpkin Muffins with Pepita Streusel
With Food + Love • Creamy Pumpkin Polenta with Balsamic Roasted Beets
A Cookie Named Desire • Pumpkin Crepes with Cinnamon Ginger Cheesecake
Nommable • Pumpkin Moon Pies
Feed Me Phoebe • Thai Pumpkin Curry with Shrimp and Bok Choy
The Yellow Table • Coconut-Curry Pumpkin Soup
Ginger & Toasted Sesame • Pumpkin Ricotta Gnudi
The Crepes of Wrath • Pumpkin Pie Cake
The Swirling Spoon • Pumpkin Hand Pies
Erin Made This • Pumpkin Rye Waffles with Coconut Caramel
Beard and Bonnet • Pumpkin Spice Pizzelle Ice Cream Sandwiches
My Name is Yeh • Pumpkin Slice and Bake Cookies
Earthy Feast • Pumpkin-Stuffed Turnip-Ravioli with Pepita Pesto
Broma Bakery • Pumpkin Pie White Chocolate Brownies
Floating Kitchen • Pumpkin Beertail with Tequila and Spiced Rum
The Sugar Hit • Pumpkin Everything Bagels
The Bojon Gourmet • Pumpkin Flatbread with Gruyére and Crispy Sage (gluten-free)
Sprinkled with Jules • Pumpkin Spice French Macarons
Feast + West • Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Seed Toffee Bark
Jojotastic • Pumpkin Cinnamon Rimming Sugar
Fix Feast Flair • Japanese Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake
Appeasing a Food Geek • Pumpkin Ale Cake
Tending the Table • Roasted Pumpkin with Tamarind and Coriander Chutney
Long Distance Baking • Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream + Pumpkin Pancakes
My Blue & White Kitchen • Roasted Pumpkin Risotto with Crispy Prosciutto
Fork Vs. Spoon • Pumpkin Buttermilk Pudding
Alyssa & Carla • Pumpkin Tea Bread (in a Coffee Can!)
Twin Stripe • Pumpkin Spice Toffee
Le Jus d’Orange • Lentil-Stuffed Acorn Squash, Crispy King Oyster Bacon + Aged Goat Cheese
The Scratch Artist • Japanese Pumpkin Temaki with Ginger Kale Chips
Brewing Happiness • Caramelized Apple Pumpkin Muffins
Blogging Over Thyme • Homemade Candied Pecan Pumpkin Ice Cream Drumsticks
Heartbeet Kitchen • Pumpkin Swirled Mashed Potatoes
The Speckled Palate • Pumpkin Brown Butter Streusel Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt • Pumpkin Gingersnap Pie
Style Sweet CA • Chocolate Stout and Pumpkin Checkerboard Cake
Fork to Belly • Pumpkin Orange Brulee Pie
Tasty Yummies • Grain-Free Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
Påte á Chew • Pumpkin Almond Cake with Almond Butter Frosting
Holly & Flora • Pumpkin Pie Martini with Coconut Cream + Homemade Pumpkin Spice Syrup
Southern Soufflé • Sorghum Pumpkin Soufflés
SugarHero! • Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Pound Cake
Okie Dokie Artichokie • Creamy Pumpkin and Chorizo Pasta Bake, Cheese Tortellini, Sage-Mascarpone Sauce, Toasted Hazelnuts
Kale & Caramel • Pumpkin Goat Cheese Polenta with Brown Butter Thyme Mushrooms & Kale
The Little Epicurean • Maple Pumpkin Butter Brioche Toast
Vigor and Sage • Maple Pumpkin Harvest Smoothie
Tried and Tasty • Whole Wheat Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
Sprouted Routes • Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Risotto with Sweet & Spicy Roasted Pepitas (gluten free)
The Fauxmartha • Baked Pumpkin Donuts
So… Let’s Hang Out • Grain-Free Apple Crumble Pumpkin Pie
Wit & Vinegar • Pumpkin Flaxseed Dog Treats
Dunk & Crumble • Pumpkin Roundup
Biscuits and Such • Pumpkin Pound Cake
A Little Saffron • Spiced Pepita Brittle
- 300g butternut pumpkin, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp light brown / light muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 120g plain flour
- 120g wholemeal flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 180g unsalted butter, cold, chopped into 1cm pieces
- 60ml water, cold
- 1 egg, for brushing before baking
- 1 tsp demerara sugar, for sprinkling before baking
- Add the pumpkin into a medium saucepan, and add enough water to just cover the pumpkin. Turn the heat to medium-high, bring to the boil and cook for 15-20 minutes, until soft.
- Drain and allow to cool for 30 minutes or so.
- Add the cooked pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla into a blender (or food processor) and blend until thick and smooth, around 20 seconds.
- Add the flours and salt into a large mixing bowl. Toss the butter into the flour, and rub together with your fingers to partly combine. Make a well in the centre with your hands and add the cold water a little at a time, rubbing together with your fingers until you have a pile of buttery, shaggy lumps. Tip onto a floured bench and knead briefly for 10 seconds or so to bring it together. Shape the pastry into a roundish ball. Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (if it is cold enough where you are, you can probably skip the refrigeration as the pastry should not have warmed up too much).
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan-forced/350F.
- Roll the pastry out to a 40cm x 40cm square, or around ½ cm thick. Cut off any untidy edges, but don't discard them.
- Cut 20 even-sized rectangles out of the pastry. Dollop 2 tsp of the puree onto half of the rectangles, top with the remaining rectangles, and press down with your fingers lightly to seal.
- Roll out the untidy edges and use a small cookie cutter to cut pretty shapes to press on top of each hand pie.
- Brush the pies all over with the egg, slice a couple of air holes into the tops of each one, and sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.